La Grande Ranch Properties - Eastern Oregon Ranch Properties
There are ranches for sale that are small and large throughout Union County. Those communities in Union County include La Grande, Island City, Summerville, Imbler, Cove, Union, Elgin and North Powder. These ranches vary in size and offer opportunity for the small and large operator. Some lands are irrigated and some are non-irrigated. You can find ranches for sale on this web site.
The Grande Ronde Valley, tucked between the Wallowa and the Blue Mountain ranges, there is a feeling of wide open spaces in the area. The skies are clear and the air is fresh. Much of the valley floor area is relatively level, but there are large and small parcels in the valley floor and along the foothills and even in the mountain ranges for ranching.
- The ranches can range from 50 acres to over a thousands acres for raising cattle, sheep and other livestock In Union County. There are numerous hobby ranches with homes on small acreages also. Most of these tracts of acreages have homes with barns, shops and machine sheds.
- The Eastern Oregon Livestock Sale Yard is located just outside of La Grande between McAlister rd and the old HYW 30 rd. I-84 freeway Interchange is within ½ of a mile. Area ranchers show up every Thursday on sale day, not just to buy and sale, but also to visit with their friends.
- Union is host to the Eastern Oregon Livestock Show which occurs every year in early June. Youngsters from all over Eastern Oregon and South East Washington bring their animals to compete with showmanship and sportsmanship. On Saturday is the big day for the livestock auction. Area businessmen and the general public show up to bid on the animals. Almost all of the bids are over market value to support the youth’s future ambitions.
- Most of the ranches have a mixed use of grazing land with timber lands. Many operators supplement their livestock income with managing their timber lands. There are several timber companies that purchase logs in the area from land owners.
- Large acreages for hunting, fishing, camping and other recreational use are also available. Closer properties to the mountains, are parcels that give excellent access to winter sports, hunting opportunities, snowmobiling, gross country skiing and snow boarding.
- Smaller parcels are nestled against the mountains, and some of front on creeks and streams making them ideal for second homes as well as perfect for year-round living close to nature.
- Wind power already exists and is expanding in Union County and there is room for more wind farms on many of the parcels.
- Christmas tree farms and other light agricultural uses are also used on some of the ranch lands. .
If you're interested in a ranching on small acreages, or large acreages, Union County has a great rural life style to raise a family or to full fill your retirement dreams for just plain good living.
For More Information Contact:
John J. Howard, Realtor