Summerville Oregon Real Estate
Located at the north end of the Grande Ronde Valley, Summerville
Real Estate was an
important early commercial and trading center.
It was settled in 1865 as a stage stop on the George Thomas
line. The town was named in honor of Alexander Summerville,
a friend of the
The state line ceased operation in 1868 and was not resumed
except for a brief period in 1874. The steep grades crossing
the Blue Mountains made the route impractical. The growth of
Summerville peaked in 1889 when the town boasted two flour mills,
a bank, four merchandise stores, a drug store, a brewery, a
butcher shop, three dressmaking shops, a hotel, one restaurant,
two blacksmith shops, four sawmills, and three churches. Today
the town is a small residential area with a store/tavern &
Post Office set in a beautiful corner of the valley where deer
and other wildlife thrive. Summerville is an incorporated city
and also has satellite fire station.
The foothills at the base of the Mt Emily range in the Summerville
area provide home owners with small farms with great views of
the valley. The County Road (Ruckle) provides access to public
lands of the Umatilla National Forest for recreation.
Summerville residents are in the Imbler School district and
the Imbler Rural Fire Department.